Every August, the Department of University Transportation undertakes a week-long training program for new Ram Van drivers. As many at Fordham know, driving the Ram Van is a quintessential Fordham experience – training during Early Arrival is the best introduction.
If you’re interested in Early Arrival and getting paid to train for the entire week; beginning the semester with a 12-hour a week job; and getting hands-on learning the finer points of driving around New York City isn’t enough to convince you yet, check out what the week may look like:
- Sunday August 21st
- Move-in! We’ll submit your name to the Office of Residential Life and you’ll be cleared for an early move-in. Avoid the hassle of move-in day by beating the crowds and setting up your place in peace.
- Monday August 22nd
- After a brief introductory presentation, we’ll get all of the insurance and student employment paperwork filled out. Then each person will need to pass a multiple-choice test (questions are similar to NYS DMV quizzes) and a basic road test in a Ram Van.
- After lunch, you’ll head out on the road with one of our three administrators. We’ll take you on a smooth and safe ride between Rose Hill and Lincoln Center to show you how we want you to drive, and how pleasant the ride can be when done carefully.
- Tuesday August 23rd
- After a brief safety presentation, we’ll head out on the road. In our driving sessions, trainees are behind the wheel with a Ram Van administrator there to guide and teach them the finer points of safely and smoothly operating a 15-passenger van. First, we’ll explore Fordham’s locations in Westchester county. We’ll drive up to Armonk, NY where the Louis J. Calder Center is located. We’ll also go to Fordham’s Westchester campus, located in West Harrison NY. We find that trips to these locations are the perfect introduction to driving a vehicle the size of a Ram Van.
- After lunch, we’ll head over to the Office of Student Employment, where trainees will receive a brief introduction on the guidelines and expectations of student employment.
- Wednesday August 24th
- After a brief safety presentation, we’ll be out on the road again. This day, we’ll be heading to New York’s local airports, LaGuardia and JFK International. Our administrators will advise trainees on how to safely navigate New York City highways, bridges, and airports. At this point, drivers will be gaining confidence in their ability to drive a Ram Van in New York City.
- After lunch, trainees will benefit from a relevant presentation from some of Fordham’s Student Life administrators. We’ll have our resident experts on subjects like conflict resolution, sleep hygiene, and substance abuse give information that trainees will find useful in their Ram Van job as well as their general Fordham experience.
- Thursday August 25th
- Finally, time to head to Manhattan! After a brief safety presentation, we’ll spend the morning driving to and from Lincoln Center. We’ll show you all of the ins and outs of the various routes we use to navigate New York City traffic.
- After lunch, we’ll conquer every driver’s biggest fear– parallel parking! We’ll demonstrate our fail-proof method for parallel parking a Ram Van, and give trainees plenty of opportunity to practice. By the time you leave here on Thursday, you’ll be a parallel parking pro.
- Friday August 26th
- This day is usually dedicated to our Defensive Driving Course, which is a New York State approved course that teaches advanced driver safety. It is required to operate a vehicle insured by Fordham University, so all Ram Van student workers must complete it in order to work.
If this sounds great to you, don’t hesitate to visit our Early Arrival page and sign up today. If you have any specific questions, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get back to you right away.
See you in August!