Here at Ram Van, the safety of our passengers is our primary concern. We simply don’t put unsafe vehicles or drivers out on the road, and we always appreciate feedback from passengers on our drivers’ safety performance.
Before ever transporting passengers, all Ram Van drivers:
- Have no more than 1 infraction on their driving record. We do not allow anyone behind the wheel if they have an excessive speeding infraction, DUI/DWI, reckless driving infraction or license suspension for any reason.
- Have passed a DMV-style written test and a DMV-style road test in a Ram Van. These tests are administered by DUT administrators, trained in assessing and teaching driver safety.
- Have undergone 15 hours of hands-on training in the van, riding and then driving the exact shuttle route that our vans travel between campuses. Their training trips are thoroughly reviewed by DUT administrators, and if not completely satisfactory, the driver is required to complete additional hands-on training.
- Have completed a “defensive driving course” recognized by the New York State DMV and all major insurance companies.
- Are well-trained in emergency practices, and can respond swiftly to accidents, medical situations or anything else that may crop up during a trip.
Throughout the year, we constantly assess and improve the safety by:
- Hosting bi-annual intensive training days for continued driving safety education, where drivers get behind the wheel and receive feedback and guidance from a DUT administrator.
- Running GPS-based reports to flag drivers who speed or harshly break/accelerate during trips.
- Seek out and act on feedback from passengers regarding driver safety.
- Meet with drivers to mitigate emerging safety issues, in some cases taking time to work with drivers one-on-one behind the wheel.
Fordham’s Ram Vans are constantly being replaced, maintained and upgraded. Our dedicated staff of student leaders and administrators works tirelessly to ensure that our fleet is fully operational and safe for everyone on the road.
The interiors of our vans are specially outfitted for passenger safety and comfort, meeting even the most rigorous safety standards. Tires, seatbelts, and airbags are regularly monitored. Vans are brought in for routine maintenance and are immediately pulled out of service when anything less than in perfect condition.
Help us Help you
While we work proactively to nip any safety issues in the bud, we also tremendously appreciate when members of the community bring a concern to our attention. If you notice any unsafe driving behavior, feel free to anonymously report the behavior and we’ll take steps to correct it immediately. Also email email@example.com if any physical aspect of our vehicles isn’t up to snuff– this includes malfunctioning interior devices, dirty vans or anything at all.